My purpose is to champion the ministry of 'creative organisation' in churches. Here are the six areas I work in to achieve this, this time with specific examples to show what each might mean in practice.
1: Personal support for Christian leaders
Working with all in positions of church and mission leadership to help you to:
- define your role and priorities
- understand yourself as the person God has made you
- organise your life and work effectively
- manage your own administration and deskwork
- cope with the pressures of leadership
work with (or as) an Associate and in teams.
2: Management training for Ministers and mission executives
Helping leaders develop good people-skills to enable you to:
- understand management and delegation
- mobilise and support the church’s volunteer workers
- appoint, manage and develop staff
- lead small groups and teams well
- set up and run an effective welcome ministry
be aware of relevant employment legislation.
3: Structural review for Trustees and Church Councils
Designing structures to enable God’s work to flourish by helping you to:
- appraise the working of the Board (for a mission agency)
- set up an appropriate leadership team (in a church)
- structure paid and volunteer staff
- organise and/or lead business meetings that achieve their aim
- simplify committee structures to move you into mission mode
shape a salary scheme to serve your vision.
4: Creative tools for strategic planners
Taking a big-picture overview of a church or mission agency by helping you to:
- undertake appropriate health-checks and overall assessment
- explore your Christian foundations and calling
- clarify purpose and define vision
- identify distinctive values in a pastoral setting
- set future plans under Christ’s control
discover how to handle issues of organisation and change.
5: Practical advice for Christian communicators
Offering help to put your message across in a range of settings to enable you to:
- understand the communication process (as preacher, speaker, writer)
- write/design a website, news-sheet or outreach leaflet
- keep the church in touch through innovative newsletters and reports
- speak in public or lead a training session
- lead intercessions or read lessons at church services
make good use of the local press and other media for outreach.
6: Fresh thinking for administrators and helpers
Providing motivation and basic skills to enable you to:
- assess building needs
- prepare a financial appeal
- rethink the practice of Christian stewardship/giving
- run an effective church or mission office
- understand and appreciate God’s gifts of administration
- design systems and plan major events.