First published on this website in October 2005 and last updated in April 2021
Size: 155 kB
It is a good idea for churches and mission agencies to define their 'values', but are we aware of the standards set by Jesus for the Kingdom of God? Here is a set of values analysed from a read through of St Matthew's Gospel. How are we doing?
- We are to give Jesus Christ absolute priority
- We are to seek the approval of God rather than other people
- We are to be vulnerable with each other
- We are to be clearly different in our behaviour
- We are to be radically different in our attitudes
These are then compared with typical church values which often seem to state:
- We are welcoming
- We are vibrant
- We are nice.
There is also a listing of implications of discipleship. A church is made up of disciples of Jesus Christ so the church values ought to reflect an understanding of what it means to be a disciple.
Here is the link to this item: TN25 - The radical values that Jesus taught.pdf
Share on Twitter
Send a Tweet about this resource:Tweet
These notes have been updated in April 2021 with minor amendments to the text.