First published on this website in April 2009 and last updated in February 2021
Size: 155 kB
This is written to clarify and commend the idea of a purpose statement. There are eight sections in question format.
- What are we talking about? The idea of purpose and the many applications for such a statement.
- What is purpose? It answers the question 'Why?', the fundamental question we tend to duck.
- What is a 'purpose statement'? What matters is the purpose - this is just a memorable and shortened form of it.
- How should we answer the 'Why?' question. Start not with 'because' but with 'so that' to pull you into the future.
- Is this the same as a 'vision statement'? No - they are quite different though many people muddle them up. Purpose answers the 'Why?' question and is about us. Vision answers the 'Where to?' question and is about God.
- What else needs to be asked other than 'Why?' A question of 'Who?' and one of 'What?'.
- How do people take it for themselves? It has to apply to every department or it is meaningless.
- Is it worth it? A list of reasons why it is.
Here is the link to this item: TN48 - Let's get purpose statements right.pdf
Share on Twitter
Send a Tweet about this resource:Tweet
These notes have been updated in February 2021.