Resources e-letter 18:6 - December 2018
There are two new sets of Training Notes just uploaded: TN111, A church policies checklist, and TN112, Set my leaders free! There is also news on the development of the new Topics index page.
Click/tap red heading to continue
NEW: ‘A church policies checklist’
Churches, like other organisations, now need to demonstrate that they hold and maintain a range of policies – and the list is growing.
These Notes provide a checklist of possible policies and procedures (the difference is explained) with some idea of which are essential and which are merely prudent. There are also weblinks to other websites where you can find help, and references to all the items on my website which deal with the various topics covered.
The policies are listed under the following headings.
- Essentials – which gives a first and second priority listing of policies you cannot afford to ignore
- Governance – a listing of foundational documents, general governance, conduct of meetings and policy of policies
- Staffing – equal opportunities, staff employment policy, volunteers’ management and lone working
- Health and safety – including fire safety, food hygiene and various risk assessments
- Safeguarding – including child protection and vulnerable adults
- Finance – financial and accounting policies
- Communications – data protection and communication
- Other policies – including environmental, fair trade, confidentiality, rooms hire, trading
Training Notes TN111, A church policies checklist, are now available without charge on the Training Notes page of this website.
NEW: ‘Set my leaders free!’
These notes take the story of the seven officers appointed by the Early Church as recorded in Acts 6:1-7 and apply it to church or mission leaders today. Elsewhere on my website I consider what this passage teaches Administrators – here the focus is instead on leaders.
After some background explanation I list seven surprises from this best practice case study.
- The leaders asked questions starting ‘Why?’, not just ‘How?’.
- They saw the big picture, not just the detail.
- They involved everyone, not just themselves.
- They selected on spiritual maturity, not just on competence.
- They delegated responsibility, not just task.
- They focused on their priorities, not just on the pastoral.
- They modelled God’s calling, not just people’s appointment.
There is then a listing of a number of overall lessons to learn including ideas on priorities, release and the partnership of leaders and organisers in that both need each other.
Training Notes TN112, Set my leaders free!, are now available without charge on the Training Notes page of this website.
New Topics index page grows
Have you experimented yet with this new index page in the Resources section of the website?
Over the past two months the ‘Topics index’ has been developed and extended to make it more useful. It may now prove to be one of the best ways to find the resources you need.
Its listing of topics ranges from ‘Administration’ to ‘Worship’, from ‘Car parks’ to ‘Winnie the Pooh’, from ‘Print’ to ‘Social media’.
Try out the new index page now by clicking here. Find it on the website in the list of pages in the Resources section.
Thank you for your interest in the Resources section of my website and with my warmest good wishes for the season of Advent.